Friday, July 10, 2009

be involved.

It is so important for kids to be involved in some activity or sport that builds confidence and motivation. Studies (and admittedly, I rarely put a whole lot of stock in them) have shown that kids who are active are far less likely to be involved in drugs and alcohol or teenage pregnancy. I personally believe that more important than the activity is the involvement of the parent which is why everything I do professionally is scheduled around my children and their lives. I did not have children because it was convenient or "fit" with my life. They come before all else and so do their activities. On this (as with most else but mostly this) my husband and I agree completely. Is it expensive? Yes, but we find a way because all the material things they have been given do not remotely compare to the way they light up when M's serve goes over and becomes an ace or when L touches the wall to see that the next swimmer is no where near her or C gets his belts. These are the things we could not give them, it's something they earned for themselves and is priceless.
We took these pics yesterday for daddy's office and each of them expressed their pride in the idea that they would hang in his office along side his accomplishments because in all that daddy has done in his field, they are his greatest achievement (and mine too).

1 comment:

Amodios1511 said...

I love what you wrote on regarding your child's activities. The pictures are AMAZING!