Monday, February 18, 2008

Day 392

Instinct...Defined by Webster, it means "behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level." To me, it is God speaking to you in a way that is not audible. Do you ever wonder why animals never question their instincts and why we as the more intelligent creatures would rather protect another person's feelings or take that job we know we shouldn't than to listen to that "gut instinct"? Faced with red flags and warning signs, I pushed them away for the past several days and entertained the idea of taking on an assignment I knew would be a headache if even legitimate. The arrangements were being made from overseas (red flag) and were sketchy at best (red flag). In order to protect myself, I did some research on the venue specified (after much questioning...red flag) and found that their max capacity was much lower than what I was told was the number of confirmed guests (red flag). After discovering this, I contacted the venue and was told they had no bookings for a large party that day (the final red flag). I had known something was off from the first e-mail and finally yesterday, I simply and politely declined the opportunity given the nature of overseas business arrangements and lack of any kind of verification. Well, waiting in my in-box this morning was an e-mail full of snide comments from someone who felt obliged to inform me what my "place" as a photographer was and I have never been so thankful for instinct. So, when God whispers to you in such away that you can't necessarily hear Him, but feel it somewhere below the surface, listen.

1 comment:

sherri said...

Whew, huh? Thank goodness for the red flags he sends us. :) I hope you are doing well! We need to chat soon!