Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 576-577

Allergic...
UGH! Remember I said that I had a really good excuse for not posting for a couple of days but that I would get to that later? Well these two days were somewhat consumed by doctor visits, blood tests and prescriptions but mostly misery (for everyone in the house since I am such a whiner!). About a week ago I was bitten by a spider, no big deal, right? I didn't think anything of it. It would seem I have completely forgotten in the last twenty-four years since I have been bitten by one, ironically while watching the Olympics, that I am allergic to them. I now recall the horrible hives that developed when I was 10 as they have reappeared. It would seem a little odd to me (and the doctor too) that the hives would pop up more than a week after the bite and that some of the hives had turned into bruises and almost all of them were infected (in the space of 36 hours mind you) so he sends me to get some blood work done as the bruises raise some red flags. What flags you ask? Well, apparently, there could be a problem with my platelets or my thyroid. We are leaning more in the thyroid direction as it explains a number of other odd things happening and seemingly like to accompany low blood pressure which I have already been diagnosed with. Great. Maybe the spider bite had nothing at all to do with the hives or maybe by scratching at it like a mangy dog, I opened it up and then caused it to spread...who knows?
Yeah, that's some pretty major antibiotics and can I tell you how much I hate taking steroids? They turn me into a raving lunatic. I know they are doing their job in killing the allergic reaction, but try explaining that to my kids who think their mother has been replaced by Joan Crawford!

No comments: