Monday, August 25, 2008

Days 581-589

Uhm yeah so ...
You know something's afoot when I haven't touched my camera in more than a week. Even though I fully intended to take some time off in these last final days of summer, it was with the hopes of doing some fun stuff with the kids but what I ended up spending my time doing was quite the opposite. First off, it rained and rained and rained EVERY SINGLE day which was kind of a pain, but still manageable. Well, remember when I blogged about the spider bite? Well, guess what...after finishing the seven days of steroids, I had three more days left of the high dose antibiotic. No biggie right? Wrong. I noticed on Sunday evening that my hands were itchy which I thought was from all the crazy hand washing (a staph threat will do that to you) and possibly a burn from ironing (I always iron when it's raining). Then on Tuesday afternoon during the girls' swim lessons, my chest started itching too and when I get home and peer down my shirt (which is totally inappropriate to do in public unless you're under the age of 5), I notice that I am covered in tiny red spots and bumps which have spread to my neck and back. FABULOUS! Given the location of the new breakout, it is evident that something I am ingesting is to blame. Unfortunately the only foreign thing I am ingesting is the antibiotic. Eureka, I am allergic to the antibiotic... Lovely! How did we not know this you ask? Apparently, the steroid I was on had been suppressing the reaction and since I was no longer taking them, the reaction to the antibiotic was just now apparent and without wanting to risk the infection coming back, I finish the antibiotic anyway. Oh and the other lovely thing about steroids is that once you finish a course of treatment, you can not start a new one for like 4-6 weeks so I am left to pop Benadryl like candy and wait for the antibiotic to clear my system. Sound like a great way to spend the last week of summer to you? Yeah, me neither. Don't even get me started on the problem this presents in treating any other infection I have in the future as I am also allergic to penicillin!

No comments: