Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A needle in a haystack (or a diamond in the driveway)

Today started off like most days, hair on fire and crazy trying to get everyone where they need to be and on time. Though adding to the chaos of any truly normal day was that all three dogs had to be to the groomers in between M being to school and L & C's arrival and the fact that we are down by one car (I'll get to that later) and T needed to get in to the office at some point and of course, I had errands to run and yada, yada. So off I go on my merry way and I manage to get M to school and the dogs to the groomers and the little ones off as well and I get home and help T load the car full of furniture we no longer need to take to Goodwill for drop off. I proceed to strip the bed and load the washing machine while he finishes getting ready. After all this, I walk into the closet to see if he's about ready and chat about our schedules for the day when I glance at my hand which is holding up by body with the help of the door jam and just about faint. Below is what was staring back at me...
My engagement diamond is missing. After a few seconds of utter disbelief and shock, T & I begin to retrace my steps and search the floors all over the house where I had been and then the washing machine and car, purse, front lawn, driveway and every place in between with no success. I call the groomers in tears begging them to look as well. As I drive T to the office I can't help but think, "why me"? This is just the latest in what seems to be a never ending string of disasters; from the wreck of the Suburban coupled with the driver at fault lying and the records department losing the accident report, to the never before seen unexplained catastrophic failure in the brand new Mustang's custom turbo and now this. Not to mention Cotton's vet visits for mystery pains which seem to have no diagnosis, a banking error on my part (not major but still); and finding out that the $350 water bill is in fact correct because apparently the deposit in this district is a whopping $250, this has not been the greatest couple of months. After going to the groomers office to search for myself and coming up empty, I call my very understanding girlfriends to cry (literally). I have to give a warm thank you to Mandy & Robbin for all their sympathy and even to the guy at the Houston Shoe Hospital who was so very nice to me. Feeling deflated, I finish up my errands and return home for what I expect to be another futile search. I get out of the car, emotionally spent and decide to go ahead and inspect the back of the Suburban that is now empty. While waiting for the hatch to open, I glance down at the driveway again and think I see a sequin when low and behold I pick it up and guess what...
it is my DIAMOND just laying there on the driveway. After many, many thank yous to almighty God whom I hadn't even thought to ask for help in all my pity partying, I called T and my gfs with the extraordinary news. So today when you think all is lost, just remember that He who made all creation can certainly find your needle in the haystack or at least have the sun shine in just the right spot in the driveway to make your missing diamond sparkle. Praise God.
Oh and one more thing, if you think that I am some crazed lunatic who thought to grab the camera before picking up my diamond, have no fear. I recreated the moment for a photo op much later in the day. :)

No comments: