Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 613

Clean up...
Most of my day was spent today doing laundry and mindless housework stuff. This is all so surreal, I never even left the house despite the gorgeous weather delivered from the heavens, in fact I didn't even change out of my pajamas. I know it's naive, but watching the news coverage feels like I am watching some other place in some other state, not here up the coast and down my own street. Friends still without power and others with substantial roof and interior damage. I am so fortunate to have virtually no damage at all but in turn, I feel guilty almost to the point of shame when I look at those who needed to leave their homes until repairs can be made. The groceries stores are crazy and I am glad I thought to stock up on soups and pastas and the like as it may be a while before shopping is the same mundane task again. I mean, am I really suffering because I am out of white cheddar cheese cheetos and flips? Not exactly, so why add myself to the chaos and take the place in line of someone who needs the essentials? I want to do something, be of some help to someone but I am hardly proficient with a chainsaw and I still have so much work that I am behind on and children who need looking after. Donating money seems feeble, but money is necessary is it not? This is a strong city and we will overcome, we're not the 4th largest for nuttin.

No comments: