Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 443

Idol Gives Back...
Tonight I let the kids stay up later than usual to watch this. I felt it was important for them to really see how blessed a family and country we are. M stayed on the phone for about half an hour redialing over and over until she finally got through. In all honesty she was hoping to get to talk to one of the contestants but she was also so humbled by the fact that just one of the Abercrombie shirts in her closet could provide life-saving medication and a mosquito net to one family in Africa that she wanted to help immediately. It is so incredible to watch the urgency sweep over a person, especially a child, when the desire to help grabs hold. As parents, we try to remind our children that it is ok to want creature comforts as long as we also remember that generosity begins at home. One dollar, one ice cream or cup of coffee is the difference between life and death in so many countries around the world even in our backyard. These are our brothers and sisters and God called us to help. "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:40 Can you spare a cup of coffee?
PS. I love the way the light from her cell phone is reflecting back into her face. I'm strange, but it feels "real" to me.

No comments: